In financial year 2019, the export value of coal from Australia was approximately 69.6 billion Australian dollars. The value of coal exports had almost doubled over the past decade, with coal being one of the leading export commodities in the country.
How big is the coal industry in Australia?
The industry employed around 50,000 workers in 2019 with another 120,000 indirect jobs supported by the coal industry. In 2018-19 Australia exported 210 Mt of thermal (energy) coal worth $25.9 billion and 184 Mt of metallurgical (steel-making) coal worth $43.6 billion.
What percentage of Australia’s GDP is coal?
In 2018, the value of coal exports was $67 billion, equivalent to 3½ per cent of nominal GDP.
How much of the world’s coal comes from Australia?
Australia has about 25 per cent of world recoverable brown coal EDR and is ranked first. Australia is a major producer and exporter of coal and in 2008 accounted for about 6% of the world’s black coal production and ranked fourth largest producer after China (45 per cent), USA (18 per cent) and India (8 per cent).
Is Australia the largest exporter of coal?
In 2016, Australia was the biggest net exporter of coal, with 32% of global exports (389 Mt out of 1,213 Mt total), and was the fourth-highest producer with 6.9% of global production (503 Mt out of 7,269 Mt total).
What is Australia’s biggest export earner?
Why Australia is so rich?
Mining has contributed to Australia’s high level of economic growth, from the gold rush in the 1840s to the present day.
What is Australia’s biggest industry?
The 10 Biggest Industries by Revenue in Australia
- Consumer Goods Retailing in Australia. …
- Health Services in Australia. …
- National and Regional Commercial Banks in Australia. …
- Supermarkets and Grocery Stores in Australia. …
- Iron Ore Mining in Australia. $83.4B.
- Public General Hospitals in Australia. $77.6B.
- Coal Mining in Australia. $72.8B.
- General Insurance in Australia. $67.3B.
Which Australian state makes the most money?
New South Wales
Which country is the largest exporter of coal?
How long will coal last in Australia?
around 125 years
What percentage of China’s coal comes from Australia?
China’s October coal imports were also 26 per cent lower than in September. According to IEA (International Energy Agency) Clean Coal Centre, Australia supplied more than 40 per cent of China’s coking coal imports and 57 per cent of the nation’s thermal coal last year.
Who has the best coal in the world?
What is the biggest coal mine in Australia?
Peak Downs coal mine
Which country has the most coal?
Countries with the biggest coal reserves
- United States of America – 250.2 billion tonnes. …
- Russia – 160.3 billion tonnes. …
- Australia – 147.4 billion tonnes. …
- China – 138.8 billion tonnes. …
- India – 101.3 billion tonnes. …
- Indonesia – 37 billion tonnes. …
- Germany – 36.1 billion tonnes. …
- Ukraine – 34.37 billion tonnes.